- When you buy fresh fruits wash them before you put them in your fridge. You’re more likely to eat them if they are prewashed.
- When you buy veggies such as carrots, celery, broccoli, cucumbers etc. put them in ready-to-go serving sized containers for quick grab and go snacks. For extra fun, prepare a side of hummus for dip in small dipping containers.
- Invest in an apple corer or peeler for quick and easy slicing for your little ones. Apples may be too overwhelming without a little extra preparation.
- Leftovers can be great next day lunch meals, after dinner pack any leftovers in single lunch sized containers and put in fridge or freezer for your next quick meal.
- Go green and invest in a reusable water bottle and fill with water instead of packing juice boxes.
- Make home-made healthy snacks such as whole grain muffins with your kids on the weekend and add them to their weekday lunch. You can also freeze them so they last longer.
- Have your kids help in their own lunch preparation, teach them about the importance of having a healthy well balanced meal. It can make the job easier and they may come to appreciate the effort that goes into preparing lunches if they have a chance to participate.
With any luck they may eventually take over the responsibility of making their own lunch!